Monday, November 8, 2010

Pass the Pepper Please

This past week was one of the most special and significant occasions I have been honored to attend. Every two years the National Association of Student Affairs has a leadership institute. It was such a special and exciting week in Omaha, NE. It felt like home. My parents, aunts, uncles, and grandparents are from Nebraska land. Home of the Cornhuskers! I grew up shouting "Go Big Red!" (turns out I went crimson). Regardless, Omaha was chic and fun. One of the best parts was meeting my sweet cousin Molly. She met up with me one evening after dinner and we got a sweet treat. We were able to chat about school, life, and love. Her family is one of my favorites. I love the Hayes'! Great to see my sweet and gorgeous cousin.
The classic Upstream brewery was a complete blast. I found my milk soul mate Karen from the University of Nebraska. We were at a brewery full of fantastic and delicious beer. What did we order? Milk with ice! I have put ice in my milk since I was 4 and grandpa Harry taught me how yummy milk was ice cold. I have had this habit ever since. When Karen ordered milk with ice, I was thrilled to find a friend who also wanted an ice cold skim brew!
The institute consisted of 40 men and women from the Midwest region. We were put into 3 small groups. Each group was accompanied with a faculty advisor. The picture above was my faculty advisor Dr. Matthew from Wyoming.
My two fearless leaders Shanna and Matt. They attended the institute a few years ago and now were chosen for our leaders of the class. Matt works at OSU (I still liked him) and married a girl from my husbands hometown. We had a lot in common marrying two Wildcats!
There were several highlights of the week, but the one the stood out among the others was my sweet roommate...Pepper. "Is that your legal name?" I asked. "That's right, Pepper Jo Six!" I couldn't help but giggle and share my thoughts of her name sounding like a famous news reporter "Pepper Jo Six here, live on the scene." We laughed and laughed. Our friendship was instant and fun. I am thankful for her love of life, her dedication, loyalty to her husband, her mom stories, and her approach to balancing work and family. She sees the world as a playground. You either jump in and have fun or watch as others around you have a great time!
MLI graduation picture. I already miss this group!
So here's to you Pepper...cheers to living life fully. You are such an amazing mom, wife, and friend. I look forward to "someday" skiing in Wyoming with you and your family. Thanks for your sweet reminders, whether you meant to or not, you can have it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Dreams really do come true. I have shared many days with the love of my life, Scott. We met in the winter of 2003 and married in the spring of 2008. We welcomed our sweet bundle of joy to the world August 2011. Izabelle has been a true blessing from our Father. We also have a furry pal named Bernie. I love my family and couldn't be more thankful for friends. My hope is that our blog will help share our days with the ones we love.