Friday, October 11, 2013

Concrete Jungle

 
Where dreams are made of...there's nothing you can't do! There is such a thing as "a New York minute." I experienced them last week when my sweet mom and I conquered the city...again! It's my favorite place in the world for so many reasons. I can't wait to take Izzy "someday." In the mean time I enjoyed each day with my mom! 
 
I wanted to write down what we did on our adventure. That way when we venture back years later we are able to remember what each day had in store. We arrived Friday afternoon October 4th and went straight to our hotel and challenged the subway! Got on the R train and headed for Madison Square Park. There is a movie called "Something Borrowed" that I can't watch enough. It came out on DVD when Izzy was born. I have seen it 27 times easily. Well the 2 main characters eat at this particular Shake Shack throughout the movie. I remember saying "I want to go there someday..."  

What a perfect way to spend our afternoon. Who cares that we had not eaten since 5:00 a.m.! Not to mention the line was over an hour and a half long. I ordered enough for 3 people! It was just how I imagined...MOVIE PERFECT! 


 The park is right by the Flat Iron Building. It is a famous district that is downtown. I loved our time there.
 We eventually headed back to our Times Square home for the next 5 days. We spent lots of time at Caffe Bene. It was literally at level 1 of the hotel and the best breakfast and yummy coffee.
 The next part of our journey is not very well documented...for a number of reasons. We decided to take a late night Harbor Cruise. This was something Scott and I did for our first anniversary celebration in 2009. It is a New York must. It was my mother's only bucket list item. Why not achieve this on the first night! We bought our tickets in advance from the hotel and had over an hour to get there. Well it was Friday night and rush hour traffic...so we better walk. Well...these two Okies got a little lost in the city. To say "lost" means given the worst directions possible. Even Suri on my iphone couldn't help us. After going to 6th instead of 8th Ave. and landing in front of a convention center on 38th St to find out the only way around was to walk back to 34th....well you get the picture. If only you could have seen our faces as our boat left the dock honking it's very loud whistle...we missed the Titanic (so it felt). Only to find out minutes later the next boat "leaves at 7:30 p.m." With wet clothes (oh no it didn't rain...we were just a sweaty mess from the jog fest/fast paced walking that occurred for an hour and a half) and red hot faces we hung out with our feet up and waited for the next boat. It was worth it! It was by far one of the most beautiful rides you can imagine. The city at night on the water...wow!
 We took a taxi back to the hotel. We couldn't imagine the walk back towards 50th and Broadway. When we got to the lobby we went to the bar and met with our dear friend Elaine and her sweet boyfriend Matthew. What a fabulous night! Elle and I have been friends since grad school. Her and Matthew have been dating for a little over a year. It was a great time!

After day 1 in the city...we realized we need to get better directions and the only people we could count on for that...was ourselves. Okay who were we kidding? I hope Suri can be better help tomorrow! The New York minute is cruel..it makes time go by too fast. We still had 3 more days for our fall 2013 adventure...GO!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Dreams really do come true. I have shared many days with the love of my life, Scott. We met in the winter of 2003 and married in the spring of 2008. We welcomed our sweet bundle of joy to the world August 2011. Izabelle has been a true blessing from our Father. We also have a furry pal named Bernie. I love my family and couldn't be more thankful for friends. My hope is that our blog will help share our days with the ones we love.